Friday, November 13, 2009

Etsy did the right thing, the Etsy community did not.

Well, that Gift Guide button is gone. Etsy apologized and confessed it didn't think about how it might affect the influx of customers to people's shops.

Sure, I'm glad. What I'm NOT glad about is being a part of a community where some/most of its members fly off the handle so ridiculously. I know I can behave rashly on occasion, but c'mon people! That's the beauty of the internet. You can write something and take time to think about it before sending it. I bet 90% of those people would have never behaved as they did or said what they did if they were saying it in person. I guess that's the downfall of the internet as well... people say things without thinking about the actual person with feelings that's behind what they're mad at.

I wonder how it was decided to put that button on there. Was it one persons idea? I bet they call out of work the next few days. Probably feel like an ass.

1 comment:

The Ash Grove said...

I couldn't agree more. I was just appalled by the way some people behaved. So much hostility over something so small!

And what really got to me was that they apparently never stopped to consider that their own behavior might do more to hurt their business than that little orange button ever could.

Sad...